The Ferguson House (Hacienda Del Bosquito) was designed by renowned architect Josias Joesler in March 1936 and built by the John W. Murphey‐Leo. B. Keith Building Company for Rev. and Mrs. George W. Ferguson. This house, guest house, gardens and orchard are significant within the area of Architecture as an example of Joesler’s Regional Eclectic style. Joesler’s Regional Eclectic style is noted for “experimentation with the blending of Spanish Colonial Revival and Pueblo Revival styles, as well as the influence of Mexican art and architecture. These residences were generally placed on larger lots within subdivisions featuring curvilinear street patterns ultimately designed to attract wealthy clientele to Tucson.” The period of significance for this property type begins in 1936 and ends in 1937.
The house sits amidst a dense grove of citrus trees and date palms, the property is comprised of main residence (1936) a guest house (1937) a swimming pool, cabana, a caretaker’s house for the orchard foreman, and a greenhouse added by current owner all situated on 4.2 acres of fruit orchards (citrus and dates) that are still productive and privately maintained.
The main house is constructed of adobe masonry with a stucco covering. The skillful placement of the house within the densely vegetated landscape creates a sense of seclusion while maintaining mountain views. The resulting effect of the lush landscape and and distinctive elevations is a romantic rambling residence. The house was built on a lightly pivoted northwest-southeast axis with the bedroom wing projecting north and service wing northwest carting an overall Y‐shape plan. Both principal facades (southwest and north and south retain the majority of their original character and have very good integrity. Over the years and through subsequent owners the main house, guest house and gardens remains almost unchanged: minor alterations include the updating of the kitchen and the loss of the original weathervane and the replacement of the front light fixtures, and reconfiguration and replacement of the living room iron railing and grille. The property and site are an exceptional example of Joesler’s work.
In 2018 the Tucson Historic Preservation Foundation partnered with the current owner to nominate the property to the National Register of Historic Places and to apply for designation as a local Pima County Landmark. Landmark designation provides permanent protections for the property.
THIS IS A PRIVATE RESIDENCE & NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC – PLEASE DO NOT DISTURB RESIDENT
If you have a significant historic building and want to discuss protective designation contact the Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org